Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ads Banned in the UK-Too Provocative?

Ok-this had me laughing.
Apparently the above Miu Miu ad featuring 14-year old Hailee Steinfeld, was banned by the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK near elementary schools, according to the Huffington Post.
I mean, okay. I understand why they would ban these photos near schools; young Hailee looks a little distressed in this ad. Maybe she failed her math test-I don't know. But I do know that the ASA needs to chill out. Besides, it's not the first time I've seen fashion photography on railroads. It's pretty common. I've always wanted to have a photoshoot on a railroad, but you see, NYC Subways aren't your best bet.

The ASA also banned Marc Jacob's Oh Lola! perfume ad featuring 17-year old, Dakota Fanning

The ASA is quoted saying
"We considered the length of her dress, her leg and position of the perfume bottle drew attention to her sexuality" -Advertising Standards Authority

Now that I actually look at the ad, I get where they're coming from, but fashion has always been provocative.
It's the simple fact that these ads feature young girls in them that make them 10x more risque.
What do you think?
While you think about that, take a look at the rest of Hailee Steinfeld's shoot with Miu Miu (which I loved!)

Photos by Bruce Weber

So, what do you think?
Is the ASA right for banning the ads?
Or did they take it too far?

4 comments:

Crazy for fashion said...

Great pictures! I am following you. Kisses <3<3

New York City Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fashion Dawgs said...

I love all the ads and definitely think the ASA overreacted. I think they read far too much into it!

Fashion Dawgs

Andra said...

I Love retro style