Saturday, February 4, 2012

Prada S/S 2012: The New 50s



I love me the 50s. Prada's S/S 2012 campaign is such a beautiful and perfectly modernized 50s fashion.
The 50s has always been one of my favorite eras in fashion. The perfectly placed hairstyles, the rep lip and that quirkiness that can only be found then. However, 50s life for the American woman looked a bit unbearable. With the perfect husband who comes home from work while the mom stays home as a housewife and looks over the kids, was too...well, perfect. And unrealistic. The ads didn't portray the single and divorced moms and dads. I'm glad woman have become a lot more than a housewife because I for one would not make a good one. I've always wanted to know how life was really like in the 50s and if it was all that it was pumped up to be.

Check out the real ladies of the 50s and some of my favorite shots!
Sunny Harnett for Harper’s Bazaar, 1950s. Photo by Tom Palumbo
I've secretly always wanted a car from the 50s...

Jean Patchett on the cover of Vogue, February 1951

Miss America, Sharon Kay Ritchie, New York City, 1955
Marilyn Monroe by Earl Leaf, 1950
One of my favorite photos. I love this shot, with the old marker and all. Oh, how we've evolved!
Bettina modelling for Lanvin, 1951. Photo by Henry Clarke

Grace Kelly
Elise Daniels standing on a New York street, 1956. Photo by Gjon Mili
A Dior couture fashion show, 1954. Photo by Mark Shaw
My girl Audrey Hepburn by Philippe Halsman



Anne St Marie for Harper’s Bazaar, 1954. Photo by Tom Palumbo
Mademoiselle magazine, June 1959. Photo By Mark Shaw
Bettina Graziani in Dior, 1950s

Photos by http://www.theniftyfifties.tumblr.com/ (Loveee that blog!)
Nowadays, it's all about being sexy. Sex being the main word in it, we all know it. Sex sells. And it's so dissapointing. Women are so much more than that and we know we are. I think the true definition of sexy is being brave enough to not fall into conformity by creating your own definition of "sexy". Personally, I would choose a perfectly polished 50s dress, pearls and all rather than a leg-baring, cleavage-showing gown anyday. But hey, that's just me. And I'm pretty damn okay with it.

3 comments:

Malery ♥ said...

I love this =) Your so right. modern world is all about dressing inappropiately..in the old days, style was soooo much better !!

Luca said...

Beautiful and sexy but desired woman is voluptuous woman. Girls with generous forms are the best.

IMPRFCTPRFCT said...

love this post. it's very true what you are saying. every woman has her own "sexyness"

xxx

IMPERFECT PERFECTIONISTA